Friday, June 12, 2009

Facing the Red Menace

"..and I'll meet you in the schoolyard, baby, for ALL the marbles...on Friday night in Detroit."

- Mike Lange, Voice of the Pens, after Tuesday night's Game 6 victory

I would have liked to have partaken of some Kiwanis pancakes today, but I slept too late to get down there. Working til 3:00 AM will sometimes do that to you , I guess.

I've been a fan of the Pittsburgh Penguins for over 35 years. Tonight is arguably the biggest night in the history of the franchise, as they have reached Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Final for the first time ever.


I got a lot of nice notes on Facebook and other places after the Pens' gutsy win on Tuesday night. I think this may have a lot to do with Avalanche fans' intense disdain for the Red Wings. I also think that a lot of people genuinely love an underdog.

So David takes on Goliath on Goliath's home ice. Strike up Darth Vader's theme. Step into the crucible for one shot at earthly glory. All the best to you, Pens, and thanks for a great season.

Someone posted this to YouTube this morning, and it is not at all inappropriate. My apologies to those of you who are firewalled from it.

Have a great day.

No comments: