Friday, July 31, 2009

Sgt. David Kinterknecht

Last Saturday was a somewhat unsettled evening at work, with the report of the shooting of several police officers in Montrose. Details were sketchy at first, and as word came in that St. Mary's would be getting one of the officers, talk and speculation were the order of the evening.

It wasn't until Monday morning that I read the news of Sgt. David Kinterknecht's death, and my heart sank. I never had the opportunity to meet him, but I know his wife, Kathy. She worked for a brief time with me at the Grand Junction 9-1-1 Center, and prior to that worked in Montrose County's dispatch center. So among the sadness in the public safety community, there is also a particular degree of concern in the dispatch area for a significant loss suffered by a fellow colleague.

On the front page of today's Montrose Daily Press is a tribute and expression of thanks by Kathy for the outpouring of support from the community at large.

I worked overnight, but I'll be staying up to watch Sgt. Kinterknecht's memorial service today. KJCT is providing live coverage, as well as an Internet stream. Kudos to them for making a commitment of air time to a significant local event.

My thoughts and prayers are with Sgt. Kinterknecht's family, and with the entire public safety community in Montrose.

Have a good day.

No comments: