Monday, February 09, 2009

A Weekend of Haunting Beauty

I worked all weekend, and kept pretty busy. I'm due back in a little over seven hours, but I have to get this out before turning in.

Saturday night after work I took in The Reader at the Regal Cinema. This is third of the films nominated for the Best Picture Oscar that I've seen, along with Milk and Slumdog Millionaire.
The Reader is a hauntingly beautiful film that tells a very poignant and sad story in a way that will stick with you, especially if you appreciate fine acting. Kate Winslet was incredible.

Tonight I'm watching The Quiet Man with John Wayne and a very lovely Maureen O'Hara. The film won an Oscar for cinematography, primarily for its' depiction of a very beautiful Irish countryside, all shot on location. Leslie wants very much to see Ireland someday, but for the moment she'll have to settle for the DVD I'm sending her.

Leslie is of the opinion that it is not the awards that make a great film. I'm in agreement, but it is still nice to see films like these in the running for some mainstream recognition. I need to see Slumdog again; there's so much energy and life amid location shooting in the slums of Mumbai, it takes more than one sitting to take it all in.

Speaking of awards, several months ago I sent Leslie a song from a CD by two performers who you would not expect to be together doing duets; Robert Plant and Alison Krauss. Turns out they go together like Bing Crosby and David Bowie. Seriously.

The song is beautiful, and the mainstream award show wags thought so too, by giving it the Grammy for Record of the Year tonight. It's too good not to share.

Back to work in the morning. I've been working on something else that speaks to me a lot; maybe it'll be ready soon.

Have a great week ahead.


Robert Plant & Alison Krauss - Please Read the Letter

Caught out running
With just a little too much to hide
Maybe baby
Everythings gonna turn out fine
Please read the letter
I mailed it to your door
It’s crazy how it all turned out
We needed so much more

Once I stood beside a well of many words
My house was full of rings and
Charms and pretty birds
Please understand me,
My walls came falling down
There’s nothing here that’s left for you
But check with lost and found
Ah

Please read the letter that I wrote
Please read the letter that I wrote
Please read the letter that I wrote

One more song
Just before we go
Remember baby,
You gotta reap just what you sow
Please read my letter
And promise me you’ll keep
The secrets and the memories
We cherish in the deep
Please read the letter
I mailed it to your door
It’s crazy how it all turned out
We needed so much more

Please read the letter that I wrote
Please read the letter that I wrote
Please read the letter that I wrote

Please read the letter
Please read the letter
Please read the letter

1 comment:

Nancy McCarroll said...

We watched "Roman Holiday" on Saturday (1953 original version. I'll check out The Quiet Man...have a good week.