Sunday, November 02, 2008

Leslie and Proverbs 25

Leslie and I had an enlightening conversation tonight. She went to a bible study this evening, and read me several passages. We talked about the election for a short while. She said that it really didn't matter who was President if you truly believe that it is God who will take care of you.

I said that I agreed, but I also think that our own personal faith also shapes who we decide to support as leaders. She countered that I spend more time in the world and with secular things than I do "reading my manual" and studying what is in it. I replied that she was right about the amount of time I spent reading the Bible, but I did enjoy some of the devotions they give out at church, as well as an audio New Testament that I have in the car.

Leslie makes good points a lot of the time. We are very different, and not just in the way that many people would focus on. We have found a place to be together in peace. Distance makes this difficult at times, as do other things. It feels to me that these will work themselves out with time and God's help.

One particular scripture verse that she read to me stuck out for some reason. Among our differences is her preference for the King James Version as opposed to mine for contemporary translations, and the differences appear pretty stark when you compare the different translations of Proverbs 25:28 -

He that hath no rule over his own spirit is like a city that is broken down, and without walls.

as compared to

Like a city whose walls are broken down is a man who lacks self-control.

I'm guessing that this means that one's attitude or temperament is critical to being able to sustain and protect oneself, as well as others. I think there's a message in there somewhere this election season.

I told Leslie that I feel there are examples of what we aspire to be as Christians and good citizens present in the stories of our human existence, and I feel compelled, if not called, to seek out those stories, as well as others. This may keep me away from the Bible more than she'd like. I'd like to remedy that, perhaps starting tonight.

Thanks, baby. I'll try to read something every day. I appreciate your strong faith, including your faith in me.

3 comments:

Rad Winters, Alanologist said...

I'm curious about your comments re: the different translations of the Bible. Does your recent conversation inspire you to seek out a different translation?

Personally I am enthused about the new "Green Bible" which is soon to be published by Harper Collins, NRSV. Would like to get one of those.

John Linko said...

Hi Rebecca:

I still like the New International Version just fine. I enjoy comparing the differences between translations, and do this often by using Bible Gateway.

I'll look into the NRSV Green Bible. I volunteer at my church's bookstore, so I'll see if it's available in different translations.

Thanks for the comment and the info. Hope your presentation went well last Wednesday.

John

Jenny said...

Your Leslie sounds like a wise woman. :) Thanks for posting that verse. Very timely for me. I hope you are doing well. We're up to our eyeballs in kids, but loving it MOST of the time.