Thursday, January 08, 2009

CPU-Free Zone?

I've taken a lot of flak in recent months from loved ones who think that I spend an inordinate amount of time on the computer. To many of them, this equates to mindless surfing and the consumption of time better spent on more practical pursuits.

To be truthful, I have a lot of RSS feeds that I look at every day or couple of days, and there's a fair amount of e-mail to go through. I believe that this helps to keep me relevant in my profession and avocations. However, I pay my bills, organize information, vent to the blogosphere, and did most of my recent Christmas shopping online. There are practical reasons for why I type, click, and read.

Still, I must take seriously the concerns of Evan, Leslie, my mother, and others who have chided me for doing this too much. They feel I need to organize my time better, and to some extent they're right.

With this sentiment in mind, I'd like to pass along this gem, courtesy of Robb Topolski's Journal, an excellent general topic blog with a techie emphasis.
Last night, my friend and I were sitting in the living room and I said to her, ‘I never want to live in a vegetative state, dependent on some machine and fluids from a bottle.

‘If that ever happens, just pull the plug.’

She got up, unplugged the computer, and threw out my wine.

She’s such a bitch.

This isn't to say that I will abandon cyberspace to devote time solely to laundry, tax time, and taking down the Christmas tree. I will still sneak a peek on occasion. My computer-free zone would probably resemble the so-called No-Spin Zone, and make about as much sense to practical living in this world as Bill O'Reilly does.

Lots to do today. See ya....


No comments: