Tuesday, April 08, 2008

In Memoriam

She left us one year ago, right to the minute.

Over the last week or so there have been a couple of things that have presented themselves to me in a way that I find significant, and that I feel like sharing.

Gene Kinsey wrote something last week that made me think about exactly how we should commemorate loved ones who have left us. For me personally there is still grief and remembrance, but I'm also cognizant of Gene's admonishment:
"No one forgets. It is not necessary to rub the wound; the scar will remain and remind. The true homage is a life lived well."
That's quite true, and I have responded to what I feel are directions from God to move on with my life. A big part of this is assuring that our son can move on at a pace he is comfortable with, and that I am not losing sight of his progress as I make my own.

That being said, I have included a memorial tribute to Jan in the sidebar, and will leave it there the remainder of this week. The picture is how I remember her when we first met in 1979; athletic and attractive, with equal measures of joy, intelligence, perseverance, and mischief.

It's how I imagine that she is now, looking down upon us.

We are all making what I feel are strides toward living life well again. This doesn't mean that there isn't a need for change in different parts of our lives. I feel that God is directing me to explore new ways of fulfilling His plan for my life, and I am exploring those with care. In the meantime, I will continue to endeavor to walk what I believe is the path He has laid out for me.

Last evening after work I was driving to get groceries when Banjo Bob on KAFM played a bluegrass song that I had not heard before.
It was made famous by Flatt and Scruggs, but this version is by Ricky Skaggs and is very well done.

It struck me as timely, poignant, and beautiful. You can hear it by clicking here.

I'll leave you to the lyric, memories of those in your life who have 'gone home', and best wishes for blessed and fruitful days ahead.

Gone Home

All of my friends that I loved yesterday
Gone home (they have gone home) gone home
The songbirds that sing in the dell seem to say
Gone home (they have gone home) gone home

Refrain:
They've joined the heavenly fold
They're walking the streets of pure gold
They left one by one as their work here was done
Gone home (they have gone home) gone home

Life here is lonely since they've gone before
Gone home (they have gone home) gone home
The old weeping willow that stands by the door
Sadly says (they have gone home) gone home

The trumpet will sound on that Great Judgment day
Gone home (they have gone home) gone home
We'll see all our friends that have gone on that way
Gone home (they have gone home) gone home

1 comment:

Nancy McCarroll said...

Thank you for the tasteful post about Jan. She would be proud to read it, and I am sure she is honored to have been your wife and mother to your son.
Keep on keeping on. My thoughts and prayers are with your family.
Nancy